Saturday, May 3, 2008

Molten Chocolate Babycakes

If you've wondered about the photograph of chocolate cake to the right of the screen, this is the recipe. It comes by way of Nigella Lawson (to whom it came by way of James McNair) and I admit, I did not make it. My husband made me these cakes for my birthday--my first birthday after we were married this past summer. I will also tell you this: he hates to bake. As meticulous as he is in his daily life, the measuring and counting baking demands frustrate him, since (I've decided) the kitchen is where he can exercise creativity with almost complete liberty. No dissertation formatting, no MLA v. Chicago debates, no worries about academic tone. I meanwhile am constantly fascinated at the ability to transform ingredients that do not taste good on their own into something that is beautiful and sensually pleasing. I enjoy even the most labor-intensive process as long as the final product smells and tastes wonderful. (I only feel frustrated when my work is pleasing only to the eye--there are few things more disappointing than biting into a beautiful piece of cake and finding that the taste does not meet the visual standards.)

I am also convinced that home baking just tastes better. Dan and I could have gone out for dinner that night, but instead he did something he hated with love. These cakes were perfect--restaurant perfect--but I doubt I will ever enjoy anything more. With every bite I saw his determined face as he measured flour and beat eggs--just enough, but not too much. I remembered the planning, the questioning, every attempt to make my birthday special.

Eat this on your best china, a paper plate, or even lick it off your fingers. You've never felt more loved or more special--even if you simply made it for yourself. It's worth it. You're worth it.

Molten Chocolate Babycakes

I especially love that you can make these ahead of time, keep them covered in the fridge, and bake them as you need to. What a treat! (This recipe is also easily halved.)

Scant 1/4 cup soft unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
12 ounces best bittersweet chocolate (I like Ghirardelli)
1/2 cup sugar
4 large eggs at room temperature, beaten with a pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

6 individual 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins, buttered well
Baking parchment paper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place a baking sheet in the oven (unless you are preparing these ahead of time).

Lay 3 of the custard cups or ramekins on a doubled sheet of parchment paper. Trace around them and cut out the discs--you should have 6. Press them in the bases of the well-buttered cups.

Melt the chocolate and let it cool slightly. Cream the butter and sugar, then slowly beat in the eggs and salt, then the vanilla. Add the flour and when everything is incorporated, stir in the cooled chocolate. Blend until smooth.

Divide the batter among the 6 cups, place them on the warmed baking sheet from the oven, and place it back in the oven for 10-12 minutes. (If you are baking these from the refrigerator, add another 2 minutes of baking time.) When you take them out of the oven, tip them our of the cups onto small plates or shallow bowls. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Serves 6.

No comments: