Monday, September 1, 2008

Blueberry Almond Cookies


So I'm still on my blueberry kick. It's lasted months now! I guess that's better than last year's doughnut kick, but I don't know what I'll do when my farmer's market blueberries that I froze run out! I'm one recipe away--and frozen ones in the grocery store are astronomical. Maybe I'll really have to eat seasonally--practice what I preach. Or think about preaching. Does chatting about Barbara Kingsolver and Deborah Madison with people who already agree with me over wine count as preaching? 
I've made these cookies several times now. They are unusual--the reason for my initial attraction--and more like muffins or cakes than cookies. The texture reminds me of those soft, iced cookies you get in the plastic packages at Wal-Mart--you know the ones, and you know you love them, too--and the taste is remarkably complex, and not cloyingly sweet. Blueberries, toasted almonds, lemon zest--tart, fresh, warm cookies that are at the same time the essence of summer and a transition into fall.
They are also difficult to screw up. As long as you remember to let that butter get soft and cream it until it is really light and fluffy and you can no longer hear the scrape of sugar on the sides of the mixing bowl, you should be fine. The first time I made these, I realized I had no lemons--I'll tell you, lime zest makes them even more summery. So as Ellie wrote in her fig tart blog post, sometimes recipes change. Sometimes you change them. (Or, had I really wanted those lemons, sometimes you make a Wal-Mart run in the middle of a recipe.) Also, do be sure to let the batter sit in the fridge for at least half-an-hour while the oven preheats--this way, they stay fluffy instead of flattening out because the butter in the batter is too soft.
Remember that despite the fact that this recipe ends up looking like blueberry muffin tops, it uses the creaming, rather than the muffin, method of mixing. Rather than gently folding the wet ingredients into the dry, you quickly and thoroughly beat the dry into the wet using a hand or standing mixer.
But baking methods aside, these are fabulous, if not a bit surprising, cookies.

Almond Blueberry Cookies
(adapted from Everyday Italian)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temp. (really soft)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
1/2-1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
1 cup frozen blueberries, mostly thawed

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

2. In another medium bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar (use a hand mixer if you're not using a standing mixer). Add egg and beat to incorporate. Add milk, almond extract, and lemon zest and juice. Beat until all ingredients are well incorporated.

3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in the almonds, then gently fold in the blueberries. If using a mixer, use it through dry ingredients, then fold in the almonds and blueberries with a spatula--gently, so you don't turn the batter purple.

4. Chill dough in the fridge for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

5. Using two small spoons or a disher, scoop batter onto cookie sheets. (Use either good nonstick baking sheets or a silpat or parchment paper.) Bake until just golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes. 

6. Cool cookies on a wire rack. When serving, try not to stack them--they will stick together. Not that this is a bad thing, just not a pretty one.



3 comments:

Ellie said...

Those cookies were so good.

I haven't made the pear tart yet- tonight! I poached the pears and baked the tart shells on Monday, but tonight a few people are coming over from the history department for dinner, and I am making curry and the pear tart.

Hmmm...maybe I could make curry for the potluck next week...

Anyway, I promise to post about the pear tart soon.

Anna said...

Those cookies were very tasty, and so were the lemon ones. Would love to have some right now. Mmmmmm.

Here's something you'll thoroughly enjoy:
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Mmm--I've still never had your curry, though I've heard rave reviews! I'm thinking of asking everyone to come to PR around 7:30, so you may have time after work...