Saturday, September 20, 2008

Traditions

So it's tradition that the bride and groom eat the top layer of their wedding cake on their first anniversary. It's for good luck, I think. I'm not sure of the origin of this one, but I do know that Dan and I felt somewhat guilty when we realized that our wedding cake was in the freezer in Wilmington for our May 19 anniversary, while we would still be in Oxford until August. (If we've had worse luck, we haven't noticed.) Another tradition I never understood: The need for the groom to smear the first bite of wedding cake on the bride's face while she is decked out in very expensive silk. And I can assure you that whoever developed this tradition never expected the wedding cake to be chocolate. (I think this means I'm a tramp, but oh well. That cake was damn good.) So imagine my sheer joy when, a few months late, Dan and I celebrated our anniversary by eating our thawed wedding cake layer, recreating that wonderful chocolatey moment on our wedding day.









3 comments:

Anna said...

Aww, so cute! And sticky.

Stephanie said...

You look like you fared better than Dan did! On our first wedding anniversary, I woke up with a terrible stomach virus, so while I was running between the bed and the bathroom all day, my husband and my brother polished off the whole top layer of our cake. Not very romantic, is it? But, at least we found out that bucking tradition did no lasting damage to the marriage.

Ellie said...

Very cute indeed. I would love to have a tart-baking weekend. I made the tomato thing. It was ok. I'll do my best to post a couple of pictures soon :)