Monday, October 13, 2008

Carrot Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

So my first question is this: Is frosting a Southern term? I always referred to this blessed part of dessert as "icing" growing up in Ohio--you know, the same place we referred to Coke as "pop" and used other midwestern-isms that make Southerners giggle at our lack of sophistication. I think the only time I used the word "frosting" was when I was talking about the tops of supermarket sheet cakes or 80s trends in hair coloring. Hmm. Things to ponder.

Anyway, I've learned that my pseudo-European husband who only eats sweets in the afternoon will eat dessert after dinner if he gets to choose. So I told him yesterday that I would be making a cake that evening and asked his preference. Surprisingly, he replied quickly and enthusiastically, "Carrot Cake!" I immediately panicked (just a little). I love to bake, but I have two fears in the kitchen: double boilers and layer cakes. Double boilers are just plain annoying--stir well and stuff won't burn in a pot. But layer cakes are finnickier than divinity in August! The layers are never even, they break, and I HATE trying to ice a cake when you get crumbs all in the icing--eww. Don't get me wrong--I'd love to be an amazing Southern baker who can make 18-layer caramel cakes without batting an eye. But there's a reason I like "rustic" desserts. Hard to mess up, and I find them much more aesthetically pleasing than fussier ones. Probably the same reason I like cottages and distressed furniture. But to return to my point, I was thrilled when Dan added, "But I don't want a tall layer cake--just a sheet cake. I think we'll be more likely to finish it." Hell yeah! 

I knew exactly which recipe I wanted to use. In May 2005 (probably one of the only things I can remember from three years ago) Cooking Light ran an article about low-fat cakes. They look amazing, and when I checked out their carrot cake recipe, it didn't even call for egg substitute. I am against this product when baking. Instead, it used 2 eggs and 2 egg whites instead of 4 eggs, low-fat buttermilk, the best tenderizer ever, and the carrots themselves added plenty of moisture. It got sweetness and depth from a mix of granulated and dark brown sugar and a good amount of cinnamon. And the icing--oh boy, was it good. Fat free cream cheese, vanilla, and some butter, plus a billowing mess of powdered sugar--lovely. I topped it with some turbinado sugar and it really looked like the magazine photo and was every bit as good as any fussy layered cake. Strangely enough, despite this layer-cake diatribe, I have fond memories of carrot layer-cake. The first layer cake I ever made from scratch was a carrot cake with cream cheese icing, for Dan's father's birthday. It was the first weekend I'd ever "met the parents." I call it a success.

The cake bakes up beautifully on its own. Do be sure to line the bottom of the dish with parchment and cooking spray since you have to flip the cake out to ice it.

Icing it is easy. Since fat-free cream cheese is softer than regular, you do need to chill the icing for 30 minutes before putting it on the cake, then keep the cake in the fridge. Chill it without covering it for 30 mins.--the icing will harden a little, and then it won't stick to the plastic wrap when you do cover it. Yum.

Carrot Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
(adapted from Cooking Light, May 2005)

Cake:
9 T unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temp. if possible
2 large egg whites, room temp. if possible
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups AP flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (you could also add a pinch of allspice or cloves)
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 cups finely shredded carrot (if you shred it yourself, squeeze out the juice using a couple paper towels)

Frosting:
1/2 cup (4 oz.) fat-free cream cheese, cold
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
2 3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 T turbinado sugar (or orange sprinkles)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Coat a 9 x 13 in. pan with cooking spray, line the bottom with parchment or waxed paper, then coat with cooking spray again. Set aside.
3. Place 9 T butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in large bowl or bowl of standing mixer. Beat with a mixer at medium speed for about 5 mins. or until the mixture is light and fluffy and you can't hear the sugar scraping on the sides of the bowl. Add eggs and whites, one at a time, until each is well blended. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in 2 tsp. vanilla.
4. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well after each addition. Stir in carrot. 
5. Spoon batter into prepared pan and level. Tap pan once or twice on counter to get out air bubbles. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes (if using a metal pan) or for 25 mins. at 325 F and 10 mins. at 350F (if using a glass pan). Insert a wooden toothpick in center to check for doneness. (You could probably bake the glass pan for 20-25 mins. at 350, but I haven't tried it yet.)
6. Cool in pan on rack for 10 mins., then carefully turn out onto rack. Gently peel off paper and let cool completely.
7. To make the frosting, place the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat at medium speed until smooth.  Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating at low speed until smooth (do not overbeat). Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar. Cover and chill for 30 mins. Spread frosting over the top of the cake. Garnish with sugar or sprinkles and refrigerate until ready to eat. Cover loosely after 30 mins. to prevent icing from sticking to the plastic wrap. Store in fridge to keep icing from running. 

Yields: 16 pieces

This is low-fat, as I mentioned. Only 10 grams of fat per slice, including frosting. Not bad!

No comments: