Friday, January 23, 2009

Fudgy Mocha-Toffee Brownies (Mochaccino Brownies for short)

I did not receive an espresso machine for my wedding. I'm not entirely sure I even registered for one, though I think I remember that somewhere in the midst of the All-Clad, Henckels, Le Creuset, and KitchenAid talk, Dan and I decided that we could wait on that one. He probably used the line I grew to love during the wedding days: "Where are we gonna put that?" I imagine it was, in the end, a matter of counter space.

I still crave espresso drinks at home, usually in the late afternoon, while I'm sitting comfortably at my desk (the desk that stylishly solved the problem of "where to put" my computer and cookbooks). I bought a small stovetop espresso maker that actually works pretty well, and trust me, I put it to good use. I've mastered the Caramel Macchiato and the Americano, but mochas still elude me. I can never achieve the smooth, deep blend of dark chocolate, milk, and espresso that is my weakness at Port City Java. (I think they call it a Mochaccino.) Anyway, when I think I just can't stand it anymore and I'm ready to drive 12 hours to Wilmington just to get one, I make these brownies. I found the recipe in Cooking Light over a year ago, and they've become quick favorites. Don't be put off by the "light" in the description--one taste of these luscious brownies and you'd swear I was lying even if I showed you the recipe. Dark chocolate, a double shot of espresso, and the salty crunch of toffee on top--these are just as great for breakfast as they are late at night when you want the soothing warmth of coffee without the jolt of caffeine. 

A few things to note about these brownies: They are incredibly fudgy and gooey. This is wonderful for eating, not so great for cutting. It is difficult to slice them evenly and cleanly, as the knife tends to drag raggedly through even the coolest of brownies. Wipe off the knife after each cut, and try to drag the knife in a line in one smooth motion, rather than sawing up and down. A sharp knife is also a great option, but be careful not to scrape the bottom of your nonstick pan.

Also, the batter will be thick. Very thick. The first time I made them I was convinced something had gone terribly wrong. The final batter was the texture and thickness of a good exfoliating body scrub or face wash. Remember the St. Ives Apricot Scrub? While it's not the most appetizing analogy, if you've got that texture (but in chocolate) then you're on the right track. You literally have to scoop the batter into the pan and then pat it down with a spatula sprayed with cooking spray, coaxing it into the edges of the pan. It will not go gently, I promise you. It's like stretching pizza dough only to have it shrink back to size when your back is turned. Just be patient--in both cases--the final product is so worth it.

Mochaccino Brownies
(adapted from Cooking Light, September 2007)

Cooking spray
2 T instant coffee granules
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup (4 T) unsalted butter
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (I use a blend of regular and Dutch-Processed)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/4 cup toffee chips (not the milk chocolate-covered ones)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Coat the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Combine coffee granules with 1/4 cup hot water (really hot tap water is fine). Stir until the granules dissolve. (You can do this right in a measuring cup to save on dirty dishes.)
4. Combine butter (cut into chunks) and chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until butter melts; stir until smooth. 
5. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine the flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine coffee mixture, butter mixture, vanilla extract, and eggs in a medium bowl, whisking until smooth. Add the coffee mixture to the flour mixture and fold until just combined, being sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to incorporate all of the flour. The batter will be very thick.
6. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan, pushing it into the corners. Sprinkle with the toffee chips. 
7. Bake at 350 F for 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.

Enjoy this sweet coffee fix!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I finally started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and you were right. It's wonderful! It makes me want to go out and plant something. No, really it makes me want to go out and pick and eat something. :-) I also read Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. Have you read it yet?